MUCH /​ A LOT OF /​ LOTS OF



Much is used only with uncountable nounsIt is used mainly in questions and negative sentences
•Do you have much free time •How much experience have you had?
•I donʼt have much free time.

●In statements a lot of or lots of (informal) is much more common
How much (money) does she earn?
•She earns a lot of money. 

●You can also use plenty (of)These phrases can also be used in questions and negative sentences.

A lot of/lots of is still felt to be informalespecially in British Englishso in formal writing it is better to use mucha great deal of or a large amount of.

Very much and a lot can be used as adverbs
•I miss my family very much.
•I miss very much my family.
•I miss my family a lot.
•Thanks a lot. 

●In negative sentences you can use much
I didnʼt enjoy the film (very) much.