MUCH vs A LOT OF vs LOTS OF

MUCH /​ A LOT OF /​ LOTS OF



●Much is used only with uncountable nouns. It is used mainly in questions and negative sentences: 
•Do you have much free time •How much experience have you had?
•I donʼt have much free time.

●In statements a lot of or lots of (informal) is much more common: 
•How much (money) does she earn?
•She earns a lot of money. 

●You can also use plenty (of). These phrases can also be used in questions and negative sentences.

●A lot of/​​lots of is still felt to be informal, especially in British English, so in formal writing it is better to use much, a great deal of or a large amount of.

●Very much and a lot can be used as adverbs: 
•I miss my family very much.
•I miss very much my family. 
•I miss my family a lot. 
•Thanks a lot. 

●In negative sentences you can use much: 
•I didnʼt enjoy the film (very) much.
Reactions

Post a Comment

0 Comments

Ad Code