Gerund and Infinitives
Exercise - 1
Put the verb into the gerund or the infinitive with ‘to’:



1. I couldn’t sleep so I tried _____________ (drink) some hot milk.

2. She tried _____________ (reach) the book on the high shelf, but she was too
small.

3. They tried _____________ (get) to the party on time but the bus was delayed.

4. We tried _____________ (open) the window, but it was so hot outside it
didn’t help.

5. He tried _____________ (get) a job in a newspaper firm but they wouldn’t
hire him.

6. He tried _____________ (get) a job in a newspaper firm but he still wasn’t
satisfied.

7. You should stop _____________ (smoke), it’s not good for your health.

8. We stopped _____________ (study) because we were tired.

9. They will stop _____________ (have) lunch at twelve.

10. We stopped _____________ (have) a rest, because we were really sleepy.

11. Oh no! I forgot _____________ (buy) milk.

12. Please don’t forget _____________ (pick) up some juice on your way home.

13. I forget _____________ (lock) the door, but I’m sure I must have locked it.

14. Have we studied this before? I’ve forgotten _____________ (learn) it.

15. Please remember _____________ (bring) your homework.

16. I remember _____________ (go) to the beach as a child.

17. Finally I remembered _____________ (bring) your book! Here it is.

18. Do you remember _____________ (eat) steak in that little restaurant in Rome?

19. I regret _____________ (tell) you that the train has been delayed.

20. I regret _____________ (tell) Julie my secret; now she has told everyone.

Answers